July 13, 2011 Leave a comment
Nine Effective Practices for Student Success Online – Bb Day 2
- Lone Star College System – fastest growing CC system in TX – over 69,000 students, 27% online, 20% of online are fully online; services include online advising, early alert, case management, Starfish
- Capella – totally online – AQIP – 39,000 – most female, urban, students of color, average age 39, integrated support for learners
- SAS Curriculum Pathways – statistical software- free digital content for K12
Effective practices based on surveys/focus groups
- Engage prospective students throughout the enrollment process.
- Allow students advance access to the online classroom.
- Make sure online students have complete access to library and bookstore resources.
- Offer guidance counselors and mentors targeted to online learners.
- Quickly communicate and resolve technology issues.
- Ensure office hours are flexible and transparent.
- Use technology to quickly identify students at risk for dropping out.
- Extend services beyond course or program completion.
- Ensure a seamless financial aid process.
- Discuss findings with John Cowles and counseling – how are we implementing these practices at GRCC? What more can we learn from Starfish? What professional development or information resources do we/might we provide for faculty members?
- Review new online Bb support from library with Nan S – how can we work more effectively with our library partners?
- How do admissions and financial aid use Bb to interact with students? Talk with Diane Patrick.
- Discuss with Business/other depts. with multiple online students – how can we advise our students who do not attend classes on campus?