BbWorld09 – Blackboard Corporate Keynote
Blackboard Corporate Keynote
7/14/2009 1:45 PM – 3:00 PM
Maryland Ballroom A-D
Michael L. Chasen, President and Chief Executive Officer, Blackboard
Ray Henderson, President, Blackboard Learn, Blackboard
- Michael Chasen – President, CEO
- Ray Henderson – President of Blackboard Learn
- Jessica Finnefrock – VP Product Development
- Video – Blackboard Video “That was a Miracle” (Phil Chatterton “NG” and John Fontaine “Old Bb”)
- Bb needs to be more transparent, more engaged… We need to over communicate to our clients.
- Twitter, Facebook, Bb Blog, Email Summary, Press Release, Geocities, Ray’s Blog
- 1,600 clients and 17 countries, 45 states, 200 partner attendee across 48 companies.
- Today’s Discussion
- The Next Phase of Project NG
- “The Influence of Tribes” – Seth Godin
- The people in the room… help to focus = BIE / CSC / Bb Clients / WebCT Clients / Angel Learning / IMS / Partners / Client Community + Student Tribe = All come together.
- Long term strategy for NG = Universal access to Education (federal government funds to build open education resources) under a Common Architecture and code base (easy sharing of content), Ability to Measure Educational Results (common data set – sharing and benchmarking with other institutions), Utilizing mobile social technologies as a key part of education process.
- Need to highly personalize and customize the learning experience, ability to handle more interactive content, support true K20 teaching and learning, Improve teacher efficiency and flexibility.
- Product Demo – Bb NG, entire product is CSS enabled for customized approaches and custom login environments. Customize and add modules and drag and drop modules. Course tab has everything going on in all of your courses… tasks, announcements, courses, what’s new, grades, content collection from the courses tab. You can now plug in Sakai, Angel, Moodle, WebCT, and Bb courses into the course window using Bb NG.
- Product Demo – Courses include home page with updates, activity, at a glance views, in content areas you can include quick ways of editing content, you can add: audio/video/url and mashups such as YouTube/Slideshare/NBC Content. NBC is a new partnership that offers a library of historic videos and multimedia content. You can create playlists and embed players offered through NBC. iTunes U content can be easily access through Vanderbuilt’s Building Block. Record your own video with the echo360 (through a new partnership) up to 25 podiums/classrooms to be included with Bb 9.1. Building Block that allows a students to access course content on their Kindle. New partnership with Wimba (instant messaging) to be included also with Bb 9.1. Wikis will be included also within Bb 9.1 as built-in with grading. Grading can include new Rubric functionality.
- Product Demo – What’s New, Needs Attention, etc. now announcing a new parent dashboard. Lesson plan is a new tool for K12. Adding the ability to align to state standards, folder of content a lesson plan or an assessment question. Teacher can see all the standards available and link activities. Learning modules bring about the best of Bb and WebCT and these can be used for sequence and structure content and the display of the content. Helping faculty managing course content using the File Manager including drag and drop of content into a course. This will also be part of 9.1. New content type for textbook including the ISBN number integration. System admin has a way of running a report on the system to see which texts are required on the campus.
- Product Demo – Acxiom provides identification workflow. A limited number of transactions will be included for no additional charge.
- Video – John and Phil “K12”
- 50 Days at Bb
- Ray Henderson – role is to operationalize the vision that was just presented.
- From Kansas, spent time as a: learner, teacher, textbook publisher, educational technologist.
- Telenet was a correspondence course that included a conference call. The technology has come… but this worked.
- Textbook publisher allowed him to focus on the combination of content and assessment in regard to better empower learning.
- The Internet age came and worked at eCollege and also at Angel Learning. In that role, observer of Blackboard, and worked at Pearson. A customer and partner of Blackboard and now manages that group.
- Client support, transparency, openness, innovation.
- Client support = Ticket resolution time. 58% took 90 days or longer to close them out… now 16% of the tickets take that long. Still more work to do. Problem isn’t solved by more body’s… it’s about holistic view of the system. Angel was a brand built on customer support… there will still mistakes, but we learned that process for product support is very important.
- Transparency = Blogging, twitter… we can’t over communicate. A hunger to hear more about decision making, our view on the important decisions of the day. Social media invites engagement. It all about a willingness to engage.
- Openness = From participation to leadership in the openness space. Opening the database in NG. Just like the learning content you bring in… the interaction of your users is also extremely valuable. You need a view of that information. We need to give you the control.
- Product Innovation = Fundamentals need to be done right, but we also have a lot of work to do to to bring about new capabilities. We need to maintain progress. Section 508 compliance.. NG is the most significant step here with CSS.
- Bb Learn Report Card = user experience, support resolution, open standards, other metrics… we will hold ourselves accountable.
- Help Me: Plan your path to NG. NG is the most scalable and robust but we need your participation.
- Video – John and Phil “Full Schema”
- Progress toward next generation teaching and learning platform.
- Influence of tribes and students for example. iPhone technology in and out of the classroom. Blackboard has acquired “Terribly Clever” that were responsible for development Stanford and Duke iPhone apps. This technology will be brought to our clients and this Bb iPhone and mobile development team will be included.
- Goal is to bring services at institutions to the mobile device. Maps, Directories, Bills, Courses, Athletics, Events.
- Demo = Mobile solution for web enabled devices. iStanford demo… Services are all in place. Search for campus directory. Maps including search… drops a pin and you can click arrow for more info and a photo, and plots your current location, etc. Course Catalog allows to search for courses and registration information about the class… location and when it meets and integrates with the map. Athletics application for checking on sports and news. Video application for YouTube for lectures, etc. News application allows an aggregation of several feeds. 45,000 downloads and 60,000 downloads for Duke and Stanford. This platform can shine in the classroom… courses updates on mobile via course map and dashboard with integration to Bb Sync. So much more potential and MobilEdu will power it.
- Video – Phil and John “Mobile Technologies”
- Final Thoughts
- More in MobilEdu
- Bb 9
- Listening Session
- Voice of the Students
- Thank you to sponsors.
- Thank you to you!
- Video (Carol, John, Dan, Ray, Phil) “Openness”