Here Come the Accrediting Agencies – Bb World Day 1
July 13, 2011 Leave a comment
As anticipated, this session focused on outcomes assessment as preparation for accreditation for both programs and institutions. The presenters made the case for embedded assessment to encourage both faculty buy-in and student engagement (not to mention saved time and money). Ideas re: assessment similar to ours at GRCC – now we need to leverage technology to get the data!
Accreditation expectations (based on HLC, ACBSP, etc.):
- ID expected outcomes
- Assess extent to which outcomes are achieved
- Provide evidence of improvement based on analysis of the results
Assessing performance of the program (vs. individual students)
- Aggregate results
- Faculty collectively interpret
- Purpose is diagnostic
- Reflects program performance
Design process to know:
- Where you stand (summative)
- What to do (formative)
Indirect vs. Direct:
- Indirect assessment of student evals, attitudes
- Direct assessment of artifacts, rubrics, ePortfolios
To minimize costs
- Avoid decentralization where possible – data quality varies, hard to aggregate results.
- Keep processes manageable sustainable, produce actionable data.
Bb can help with accreditation planning and management: document; collect data; create alignments among standards, goals, outcomes; report. SP6 with outcomes module:
- Will allow us to pull evidence from repository.
- Focuses on assignments – pulls data from existing assignments in system; “not pulling Safe Assignments now, but that is in the works.”
- Can align course activities to standards, objectives, and goals.
Users of SP6 :
- Concordia University in Chicago – 5000 students, used for HLC and NCATE, changing to AQIP
- Temple University in Philadelphia – 37,000 students – used for reaccreditation, guidance for Gen Ed
- Holy Family University in Philadelphia – 2,300 – gen ed
- St. Francis – 2,100 students – using for surveys and artifact collection for gen ed
- Discuss implementation of SP6 – how can IT/DLIT work with Assessment Team, IRP, and programs to gather and interpret assessment data?
- Discuss application to WFD with Fiona, Amy, Paula – how can existing Bb data inform Perkins reporting and improvements?
- View recorded webinar re: Bb support for outcomes assessment – see Bb website.
- Discuss with PD faculty/Ric – what data could help us design faculty professional development activities?