Bb Mobile Keynote
July 10, 2012 Leave a comment
- Traffic and transportation innovation were mentioned in keynote opening… highlighting Uber and Side Car mentioned as innovative iPhone apps.
- Commerce is also mentioned as the number of mobile devices and ubiquity of networks. Transactionless payments.
- Hotels and hospitality was another industry referred to as growing. Airbnb was mentioned as an innovative app. “Camp in my garden” is a startup… seriously… people can stay in people’s gardens.
- Startups remove barriers that are often in place… they also focus on disruptive innovations.
- Exec. “the world works for you” is a startup… It’s a personal concierge service. A San Fransico servicefor $25… you can ask and get service instantly!
- Photography and smartphone enable amazing photos. So many people of using their phones for photos now. Every 2 minutes today we snap as many photos since we started taking photos. 27% of photos today are taken by smartphone. Facebook, Flickr, and Instagram are the top 3 photo destinations. This is a lot of data. This is a prime example of a disruptive industry.
- The motivator seems to be… how can we make it “easier”. Barrier removal is the key to the evolution of these industries.
- 40 exabytes of unique information will be generated this year!
- Coastermatic will print stone coasters and send them to you.
- “Invest in your Content” but we can be “Future Friendly”… make APIs not war.
- One of the biggest challenges in deploying apps is connecting to other systems to actually get the data. Investing in APIs is incredibly important.
- Junar and Socrata are 2 businesses that focus on providing access to public data.
- It’s not just about content… It’s about design because it’s easy to get distracted by all the data.
- “What is there is just as important as what is not there…” on design and UI.
- Paper is a nice app for sketching. It’s a drawing iPad app that is useful in drawing.
- With Bb Mobile the focus was on cleaning up the test taking process via the interface.
- Bb Mobile Central not includes augemented reality. The data is already there… it’s just now there is an interface to it.
- “e-Learning” what does it really mean? It isn’t just Blackboard or Moodle, but Kahn Academy, Quora is powerful wikipedia, udacity (online classes), iTunes U, MIT OpenCourseware, MOOCs