Blackboard Corporate Keynote
July 11, 2012 4 Comments
Blackboard Corporate Keynote
Michael Chasen @michaelchasen
President and CEO, Blackboard Inc.
Ray Henderson @readmeray
President, Academic Platforms, Blackboard Inc.
Michael Chasen and Ray Henderson will deliver news and updates on corporate announcements and initiatives from the past year and provide an overview on plans for the future.
Session opened with the following video:
“My school has to keep up with me, not the other way around” – Student quote in video played opening the keynote.
- Largest conference ever held with over 1000 institutions, 280 partners, over 3,500 attendees.
- A big year for Blackboard… from a public company to a private company then Edline was acquired. Bb Education Open Source Services (MoodleRooms and Netspot). Updated all products…
- Today’s Agenda: Vision, Fundamentals, New Services, Mobile Showcase
- The Vision: Choice / Innovation / Access
- Choice = Blackboard Learn, Angel, Moodle, Joule, Bb Collaborate, Bb Engage (Edline) more than 25,000 institutions around the world. Bb Consulting group includes 300 staff over a 1,000,, 600 data centers world wide, Bb Online Program Management, Bb Developmental Education, Bb Education Open Source Services and more.
- Innovation = Innovating across all platforms… Open standards (IMS, LTI, Common Cartridge), MongoDB NoSQL, elasticsearch, node.js.
- “Projectxp” and Bb announces “xpLor” – an LIT and Common Cartridge cloud based cross institutional learning object repository for sharing course content and discussion boards internally and externally! Includes Khan Academy resources and suggested resources, grade levels, ratings, tags, creative commons, copyright, core standard filters. Content types to share includes LTI Tools, assessments, assignments, discussions, content (files, pages, links).
- xpLor learning objects work with Angel, Sakai, Moodle (Joule), and Learn
- xpCalender, xpDiscussion Board also coming…
- Access = McGraw Hill content integration including gradebook. Pearson MyMath Lab (4.5 million students) is now directly integrated with Bb (includes over 1,000 titles), WileyPlus and Cengage Learning are also integrated. Learning.com integrated is announced with over 200,000 learning objects and common core standards. Vitalsource is working to create a Bb Building Block for eTextbooks. These will also be available on Moodlerooms Joule.
- Fundamentals with Ray Henderson
- Support has improved to over 89% with 1 day resolution.
- Open Education via Bb includes: LIS, CAS, Shibboleth, Bb Building Blocks, Bb Education Open Source Services, LIT, Oscelot, Common Cartridge, SCORM Bb Open Database
- Transparency – includes new features, maintenance, upgrade windows, target dates on releases and timing for clear planning information.
- Quality – 8X improvement with extensive automated hours of testing each night during the development process.
- Client satisfaction is at all time high. Support issue resolution, change management, usability, quality, and in product recommendations.
- Innovation is about excellence in user experience, feature extensions, and evolution of course technology and methods.
- Product enhancements:
- Improved Global Navigation feature with enhanced user interface design along with alerts.
- Improving Assessment Insight for item analysis.
- Enterprise Surveys included at no charge for reporting, statistics, deployment into courses, SPSS export, etc.
- Improved Text Messaging with free and integrated “text and text-to-voice notifications” for all clients – allows students to receive over 20 types of course notifications from their courses! Also, “ConnectTxt” an new integrated two-way SMS tool in courses for faculty and students to keep the conversation going! More info about “ConnectTXT” and free “text / text-to-voice notifications” at: http://www.blackboard.com/Platforms/Connect/Products/ConnectTxt.aspx
- Improved Decision Making with Analytics that include dashboards and data and insight from courses with SIS integration.
- Blackboard Collaborate has improved integration with gradebook and also mobile access will be available.
- “Blackboard Social” – Social Learning is coming with new My Blackboard, Profiles, Messages, Spaces, Streams #BbW12
- New Services with Katie Blot
- Program development, faculty & courses, marketing, student life cycle solutions provide a wealth of services to equip and empower institutions.
- College readiness via Blackboard Developmental Education provide solutions for students with < 2.0 GPA and show a 20% improvement in success rates.
- Mobile Showcase with Kayvon Beykpour
- Mobile Central enhancements to maps include augmented reality which provide rich resources for students and campuses. Students can interact with facets of data and campus tours.
- Mobile Learn enhancements include mobile assessments that provide a new easy to use interface.
- Usage and analytics are now available via reporting tools in Mobile. The average session length is 2 minutes. That is a pretty long time without leaving. Total time spent 405 years or 12 Billion seconds spent in Mobile Learn. Since May alone there have been 11 million sessions in Mobile Learn. 4300 tests were submitted since May 2012.
- Push notifications were also recently released to provide more timely notifications. Since May 5 million push notifications have been sent out.
- Bb announces an End User License option for students to purchase a $1.99 1 year license or an unlimited license at $5.99. Institutions can elect to subsidize this license on behalf of students. The benefit of institutional license is integration with Bb Mobile Central.