‘Online Readiness Preppers’: Preparing Faculty and Their Adult Students for Fully Online Programs
July 11, 2013 Leave a comment
Michelle Simms, Director of Instructional Technology
Gwynedd Mercy College
Gwynedd Mercy College’s Stats
- Founded in 1948
- Five divisions/schools
- Three satellite campuses
- 2900 students
- 196 Faculty (84 full-time)
- Blackboard Managed Hosted since 2011
Questions & Challenges
- How will you get ready and how will you assess the readiness of students?
- Heavy competition from other institutions
- Faculty buy-in of online programs is often problematic
- Limited academic support for fully-online programs
- Middle States’ strict compliance standards
- Small team of two in instructional technology at the college
- Contracted third-party (Synergis Education) to partner with the Instructional Technology team.
- Established a list of acceptable Equivalent Instructional Activities (EIAs) for faculty
- Devised standardized experiences and expectations via a Student Readiness Course and Faculty Online Training Certification course (FOTC)
- Customized a Peer Review process for each course
EIAs & Accompanying Technology
The list includes equivalent instructional activities, how they can be assessed, and the technology that can be used in Blackboard for the activity.
- Oral Reports
- Peer Reivew
- Scavenger Hunts
- Web Designs
- Case Briefs
- Concept Mapping
- Document Analysis
- Field Work
Student Online Readiness Course
Homegrown and in a Blackboard course. Students have to finish this course before they can take an online course at the College. There are learning modules with activities and then one final overall quiz.
- Blackboard 9.1
- Discussion Boards
- Tests and Quizzes
- Adobe Connect www.adobeconnect.com, tutorials at tv.adone.com/show/learn-adobe-connect/
- Google Drive – www.google.com/edu/
- Wordle – www.wordle.net
- PowToons – www.powtoon.com
- Vimeo – www.vimeo.com
- YouTube – www.youtube.com
- Ted Talks – www.ted.com/topics/education
- Xtranormal – www.xtranomal.com
Peer Review Process
- Once a course Faculty Instructional Guide is completed, the school dean, peer faculty members, IT staff, and the Synergis designer (via WebEX) attend a peer review session.
- The faculty member presents the course materials, activities, and assignments, and answers.
- They use the Quality Matters model.
- All online instructors will be certified prior to teaching their course in Blackboard.
- Success rate of Online Student Readiness course will improve student retention.
- Ongoing technology support in FOTC will improve instructor confidence with technology.